Source and recommend a simple and relatively low cost purchasing and ordering system / software for a small business according to the specification below. Alternatively outline a plan or proposal for a excel system that also meets all of the requirements below.
We currently have a relatively outdated purchasing / ordering system that is based around simple excel. The system is very time consuming, laboursome and has limited search functionality. We want to scan all paper copies of our invoices but store them digitally, and have the ability to search for these in the future, easily.
Please read the below information for a more detailed list of our setup and the requirements for a new piece of software.
• (Paper) Order Book with sequential numbers
• We place orders and receive inwards goods on one or multiple (paper) Packing Lists or shipping dockets
• This is followed up by a single (paper) Supplier Tax Invoice
1. 1 x Excel spread sheet ‘Order Books’ and enter only the supplier, some brief key search words
‘Order Books’ achieves a simple searchable index for the books.
Order Number=Supplier=Key Product (word)
2. 1 x Excel spread sheet ‘Monthly Material Postings’. This assigns portions of the supplier invoice gross amount to individual ‘Projects’ or ‘Expense categories’
Eg. An invoice from XYZ Timber company may have a gross value of $100.00
In this spreadsheet we might attribute:
$20.00 to our project A
$20.00 to project B
$50.00 to project C
$10.00 to workshop maintenance
From ‘Monthly Material Postings’ we can extract monthly costs for current and past projects, expense categories etc
3. 1 x Excel spread sheet ‘Projects’. This assigns selected individual products from order books or actual suppliers invoices to our different projects.
Eg. Supplier Invoice from ‘Smith Ball Co’ for
6 x Blue Ball 150mm pn. 235 @$[url removed, login to view] $60.00
4 x Red Ball 100mm pn. 678 @$[url removed, login to view] $40.00
Into 3 x Blue Ball 150mm [url removed, login to view] to Project A
4 x Red Ball 100mm [url removed, login to view] to Project B
From ‘Projects’ we can reference important components for future reference.
After the purchasing department extracts the relevant data for the above spreadsheets from the Packing Lists and Supplier Invoices they are sent to the Admin department for processing and payment. At this point they are not readily accessible for future reference. Note also at this stage we have not recorded individual cost prices for products for easy future reference anywhere.
We wish to achieve:
All of the above spreadsheet information and additionally (and importantly) have the
• Scanned copy of paper order with Order Number
• Scanned copy of Packing List(s)
• Scanned copy of Supplier Invoice
• Reduce amount of input required and paperwork pile
• Increase search efficiency and usability
• Easy intuitive process
Attached together with searchable key Items
Note: With a basic operational, searchable system more than likely ‘Order Books’ will become obsolete.