My research indicates this is best done with ezPDF, or possibly PDFedit. If you know of a better solution, please propose it.
Basic site is already setup on Bluehost with WP 3.1 and Php 5.
Profits Theme provides access restrictions for membership levels.
The site will deliver PDF files on a monthly basis to members. The files are uploaded by the admin as a PDF. Some information within the PDF must be customizable by the members before download.
What is needed is a script installation and/or custom programming that allows for the following work flows.
Admin work flow
- Site admin creates document in desktop publishing program such as Apple iWorks Pages or Microsoft Publisher;
- exports to PDF (preps file as necessary);
- logs into site;
- uploads PDF (preps file as necessary);
- Notifies members that new file is available for download.
Member work flow:
- Member logs in to WordPress site;
- verifies their custom information;
- makes any changes desired to custom info, and saves;
- clicks on download page;
- downloads customized PDF.
Among other things, the member's custom information that prints in the document includes:
- First name and Last name
- Company Name
- Phone number
- Web site
- Email address
- Return mailing address (4 lines)
- Biography - a 250 character text string.
This last field must be editable by the user as much as possible, for example to bold words, or to fix bad line breaks. In other words, the user must be able to force line breaks where they want to; e.g., to keep the company name all on one line, or to prevent a one-word last line.
The ideal situation is a graphical interface for the member to see the PDF and edit right in their web browser. If that isn?t possible, then some method must be available for member to adjust line breaks fairly easily.
In the second phase (after this initial project) we would like to allow users to add their own specific-sized graphics in specified places (logo, banner) and replace larger portions of text: e.g., replace entire articles.