We have a custom question and answer script written in php with a mysql backend.
Your first job will be to copy the existing db and files into a sub folder on the hosting platform to use as your development environment.
Then we need the question entry process modified in the following way:
1. user types in a new question in the existing ask question form
2. if exact question already exists redirect them to the existing question
2. if exact question does NOT already exist, user is redirected to a page which lists 5 similiar questions and asks the user "is your question the same as any of the following questions
3. if the user clicks on one of the 5 similiar questions an ajax window pops open and asks "is your question the same as this question"
a) two buttons should be on this page "Yes, this is the same question" and "No, but show me this question anyway" with a link below these two buttons that says "Cancel"
**4. if the person says "yes, this is the same question":**
a) redirect user to the existing question page
b) store their question string in a new db textfield you create associated with the existing question
c) insert this question string in the bottom of the page in a box labelled "alternate wordings"
d) alternate wordings box should contain up to 15 similiar question strings. if more than 15 exist for a particular question then randomly select 15 from the list of alternates to display
**5. if the person says "No but show me this question anyway"** then open a new window with the question they want to see... while leaving them on the original screen in the original window
**6. if the user hits "cancel"**, close the ajax window and leave them on the page they are already on
7. below the 5 similiar questions should be a text box with a label that says "No, I would like to post this question to the community" with a button to proceed to the next step in the question ask process. if they hit Proceed then return them to the existing ask a question process that is already in place on the website.
**HTML mockups and a demo script are available to show you what needs to be done. **
Wherever possible we require development be done as php includes.